For the past few months, we have been working on our sixth phone case with VladaMUA! Everything about Vlada’s designs screams uniqueness, creativity, and taking things to a new level. Which is why we couldn’t resist collaborating with her once again! This is our exclusive interview with the Ukrainian-born makeup artist herself where she talks about what inspires her and her journey in the beauty industry. Enjoy!
1. You have designed five cases with us and each one is completely different from the other. Where do you draw inspiration from and how do you know if it has never been done before?
I do my best to research images if I have an idea, just to make sure. Also, I try to stay away from very obvious ideas, because chances are, it’s been done before. I love to go to craft stores to find inspiration. All the different textures, colors, ribbons, fabrics just make my mind sparkle!
2. I’m sure that you’ve had many companies try to collaborate with you. Why did you choose to put your artwork and ideas into the hands of Fifth & Ninth?
For me working with companies comes down to working with people. And Fifth & Ninth people really get me!
3. How long does it typically take you to design each lip look?
It depends on the complexity. Anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours. Usually the painted designs take the longest for me.
4. Many of your designs, including your newest collaboration with us, features bumble bees and honeycombs. Is there a particular reason as to why you consistently incorporate these into your designs?
I just love bees! My great grandfather was a beekeper. He had a little bee farm in the woods and every summer I used to come visit him there and watch him work. My family taught me to respect the bees because they work so hard and are so important for having food on the table (my great grandparents grew their own fruits and vegetables). Also, mom calls me bee sometimes because I work so much haha!
5. You went from putting your designs on your own lips, to other makeup companies stealing your ‘lip drip’ designs, to becoming Smashbox’s ‘lip editor in chief’ all within the span of four years. How crazy has your journey been? What experiences have been the most memorable?
It’s been so surreal! I’ve learned so much through all of these experiences! The most memorable and iconic for me personally was meeting and working for Pat McGrath when she first launched her makeup line. She is the inspiration to all of us!
6. Do you have anything to say to young artists who may be scared to make the jump and start pursuing their dreams in the beauty and fashion industry?
Fear is what keeps you away from achieving your dreams. Looking back, all of the best things that happened in my career were really scary at first. Make the jump, it’s worth it!
As you can see, Vlada’s heart of gold and amazing sense of creativity are just two of the many reasons why we absolutely love working with her! Hopefully her words have inspired you as much as they have inspired us. Check out Vlada’s newest case ‘Bee Kind’ by clicking the link here!
Xoxo, The Fifth & Ninth Team!
Do you love our exclusive interview with Vlada Haggerty? Click the link here to check out our Pinterest where we share our favorite lifestyle and fashion content!